Your fiancée will wear her engagement ring every day for the rest of her life, so choosing the perfect ring is crucial.
How do you know if you are buying the right ring? Follow these simple tips from the experts at Jewelry Information Center, a non-profit trade association that has offered consumers information about fine jewelry for over 60 years:
- Look at her existing jewelry wardrobe. The jewelry your partner has will give you hints about her personal style. If she owns a lot of sterling silver or white gold, then she is a cool-metal person, making a white gold, platinum or palladium ring an ideal choice. If she has more yellow metals, then she is a warm-metal woman, so stick to yellow gold or rose gold.
- Figure out her personal style. Does your fiancée-to-be like traditional or non-traditional designs? If she prefers bold and funky jewelry, she probably doesn’t want a very classic engagement ring.
- Pay attention. Note her reaction to other women’s engagement rings. You can discover her clear preferences that way.
- When in doubt, ask one of her friends. Find a trustworthy friend who knows her style. He or she will be able to get a lot of information that you can’t obtain without sounding suspicious.
- Shop with her. Couples often shop together for their engagement rings and wedding bands. Want to surprise her? Narrow down the selection between two or three rings so she won’t know exactly which one she will receive. Then plan the date, location and a memorable style.
- Shop with a reputable jeweler. At the end of the day, where you shop is the most important factor. Shop with a jeweler you trust who will walk you through the process.
- Make note of the exchange or return policy. If she would still prefer a different ring, you will need to make sure you can exchange it.
For more information on fine jewelry and engagement ring trends or to find a reputable jeweler near you, visit Jewelry Information Center at www.jic.org.